Hearts 1-2 Celtic- Match Report

Celtic turn their fire on Hearts to reach League Cup semi-finalCeltic shrugged off the cuts and bruises of their Lennoxtown bust-up as they delivered a knock-out blow to Hearts' League Cup ambitions with a 2-0 quarter-final win at Tynecastle.The Hoops' pre-match preparations were overshadowed by a training-ground incident which left defender Emilio Izaguirre requiring hospital treatment following a violent clash with team-mate Nadir Ciftci.But there was no sign of disharmony in the Parkhead ranks as they shrugged off a disjointed display to grind out a 2-1 win.Leigh Griffiths had been a frustrated spectator for much of the match but showed lethal composure to slot his team ahead on 71 minutes before creating the second, finished off by Tom Rogic's clever back-heel 10 minutes later.Arnaud Djoum headed a late consolation effort for the Jambos but it is the cup holders who will now take their place in Monday's draw for the last four.Despite having had stitches inserted in an ear wound following his brush with Ciftci, left-back Izaguirre was recalled to Ronny Deila's starting line-up in place of the benched Kieran Tierney

It was a tough one for the 18-year-old having been Celtic's top performer in Sunday's 5-0 romp over Dundee United.But Deila had to re-jig his side again just moments before kick-off when Scott Brown limped out of the warm-up, with James Forrest promoted to start.Morale was high in the Jambos camp after extending their unbeaten run to five games with Saturday's win over Ross County

But it was their fans who found themselves under the spotlight after reports of disturbances amongst a small section of supporters during Saturday's Staggies victory.Celtic's visits to Gorgie always fall into the powder-keg category so it was with good reason that Ann Budge warned her side's followers to be on their best behaviour.Thankfully for the Hearts chairwoman, the early events on the pitch did little to spark passions in the stands as a grim opening 25 minutes produced just one notable effort from Forrest which struck team-mate Griffiths before it could trouble keeper Neil Alexander.Osman Sow did finally get the Hearts support off their seats as he strode towards the Celtic box

His shot, however, trickled wide.Chances remained at a premium but it was the hosts who thought they had the lead after 63 minutes when Sow prodded the ball home after Juanma knocked down a deep Jordan McGhee free-kick

His celebrations, though, were quickly snuffed out by an offside flag.That scare was just the thing Celtic needed to shake themselves into action

Griffiths produced the spark they needed as he wriggled past McGhee and Igor Rossi before stroking his finish past Alexander.Given the Gorgie faithful's weekend misdemeanours, the former Hibs striker's decision to run the width of the park and celebrate in front of them was not his wisest from a public order viewpoint and he was correctly booked by referee John Beaton.Once ahead, the Hoops now had Hearts where they wanted them and went for the kill

Griffiths stunned a long ball with a perfect first touch, skipped past Morgaro Gomis on his way to the by-line before picking out Rogic to flick home at the neat post.Ciftci was thrown on for the final five minutes but managed to keep his nose clean, while Djoum's header from a stoppage-time corner was too little too late for Robbie Neilson's side

Source : PA

Source: PA