Hearts 1-0 Hibernian- Match Report

Jambos earn derby spoils

Hearts took the first slice out of their 15-point penalty and piled more pressure on Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon after Callum Paterson's goal gave the administration-hit club a crucial derby victory.

The youngster headed in Dylan McGowan's cross after the break to give Hearts their first Premiership win following last week's loss at St Johnstone.

The goal arrived when Hibs were enjoying a sustained spell of pressure that included Tom Taiwo missing a great chance from close range.

It was another bitter disappointment for Fenlon, whose side have now lost all four of their opening competitive fixtures, and the boos rained down from the away support at the final whistle.

It was the inevitable high-tempo start to the clash at Tynecastle with players getting no time on the ball during a manic opening, in which Hibs left-back Lewis Stevenson earned a rebuke from referee Craig Thomson for a late challenge on David Smith.

The hosts lined up with just two players over the age of 21 so it was a body blow to manager Gary Locke when one of those more experienced players, Ryan Stevenson, reluctantly limped off injured after just 13 minutes with a knee injury.

Referee Thomson had to calm proceedings in the 26th minute when Rowan Vine and Scott Robinson became embroiled in a shoving match after the official had blown to allow treatment for Hearts midfielder Jamie Hamill.

The first shot on target arrived in the 32nd minute courtesy of Hibs. Liam Craig cushioned a header back to Vine but the striker's first-time left-footed drive was straight at Jamie MacDonald.

After a paucity of chances, the half ended with a welcoming flurry of action at both ends. Hamill had a low free-kick from the edge of the box well held by goalkeeper Ben Williams after Scott Robertson fouled Smith. At the other end, a Craig shot from a set-piece was also comfortably held by MacDonald.

Hearts playmaker Jason Holt, watched by Nottingham Forest manager Billy Davies, did brilliantly to set up space for Hamill in the middle of the park and the midfielder forced another save from Williams, the goalkeeper diving to his right.

Free-kicks in dangerous areas were coming aplenty and Kevin McHattie drilled an effort high and wide after being felled by Owain Tudur Jones and before the half was out, MacDonald got down well to a deflected long-range effort from Hibs midfield Kevin Thomson.

The second period began in the same manner, as JamesCollins chested down a deep cross before turning a tame left-footed drive past MacDonald's far post.

A driven Hamill effort from distance, after being teed up by Smith, in the 53rd minute then drew a stunning save by Williams. Hibs began to look dangerous as the match became stretched. Collins cut inside Danny Wilson and hit a weak effort at MacDonald after being fed by Vine in the box.

Hibs substitute Taiwo was then guilty of missing a gilt-edged chance in the 66th minute when he sliced Craig's teasing delivery woefully wide from just six yards with only MacDonald to beat.

Against the run of play, Hearts stormed ahead with a brilliantly executed finish from Paterson. McGowan produced a pacy delivery from the right and the youngster glanced a header past Williams at the near post.

Hibs piled on the pressure at the end but Hearts did well to protect goalkeeper MacDonald and seal a memorable win.

Source: PA

Source: PA